LIVING FOR OUR ANCESTORS

LIVING FOR OUR ANCESTORS





Lately, I have been fortunate enough to house sit for a friend who has a view off of her balcony of the Statue of Liberty. Normally, we take moments like this for granted...

But as I sat, glaring off at Lady Liberty deep in thought, a few thoughts started bouncing around my mind like a never ending game of racket ball going on inside my brain.

This monument is a lot more than just a representation of New York City. As I sat I began to unfold these thoughts as they came to me one by one. I love moments like this. Epiphanies. Little glimmers of understanding about life. Almost like secrets that you have just uncovered for the first time, like a child experiencing a plane ride for the first time. That moment of AWE.

Being Italian-American, coming from an immigrant family. The thought entered my mind that 60/70 years (give or take) prior my ancestors were staring at this same monument as their boat docked on Ellis Island, reaching America (the Land of Opportunity) for the first time. They held this idea of hope, freedom, excitement for a new life, new opportunities. Dreaming of a better life for not only their current family, but for all future generations.

Realizing I am the product of this moment, which occurred right in this very same spot how many years earlier. Proud of how far we have come. Still in awe that some how my life has came full circle where I can stand in the same spot, same city, but with different AMAZING situations, which I must thank them for. Understanding that me, and my family are the future for our past ancestors. We are the reason they endured such a grueling trip, fled the declining economy (and Mussolini) of Italy, with hope for a better future. We must understand it was NOT easy for Italians and immigrants back then. As it is still hard for fresh immigrants in the U.S. -imagine how bad it must have been back in the day before the revolt of equality. Without our ancestors, and their decisions we would NOT be who, or where we are today. The same as future generations of our family rely on us in the same fashion.

Just thinking; I/We are what is left of our ancestors. Question being; Are we living a life that was worth the battle that our family so courageously fought?

I couldn't help but think if my past family were here, would they be proud of me and my life?
I get chills thinking of the possibility that one day, when we meet again -my past ancestors will look at me /us and say "You are the reason why we got on that boat..."

Take a minute to think; are you taking your life for granted? We often forget how hard it was for our ancestors, and how fortunate we are in today's current society. Would they be proud of your life? Are you living a life that was worth the fight? If not... get on it. Make them proud! As we are what is left of our family and ultimately we ARE our family's future...

Just a thought to ponder.

Until next time.

NAMASTE
#STAYWOKE

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or some other time.
We are the ones we have been waiting for, We are the change that we seek..."

Comments

Popular Posts