Fulfilling the False Self, and The True Self (The Difference)

FALSE SELF/ TRUE SELF




Outlined by amazing Priest, Author, and Philanthropist in his newest book "The Immortal Diamond" author Richard Rohr touches upon these very subjects which have really resonated with me. I feel I have always known and sensed this to be true. But it was not until it was laid out in front of me that I got the true bird's eye view on this subject.

We all have two separate parts of ourselves; one is to be used as a tool (The False Self), the other lies within (The True Self/ The Soul)

We need both selves in order to feed one another. The false self consists of our persona, the ego. Our ego-structure in which we need to survive, as well as to understand the true self. We need a sense of ego in order to gain confidence. The negative aspects that come with this false self consists of all of those fears, worries, troublesome thoughts which race through your mind at any given second. 

The true self-doesn't think. It feels. We must think (Using our false self), in order to differentiate what it is exactly that the true self-needs. 

Are you sitting there thinking "I don't get it? What is the true, and false self?"

When someone asks who you are you respond with the false self. "My name is Jordan, I am 23 years old, Italian,  Born in Pittsburgh, Studied Communication at Pace University, I'm a singer, I'm an actor I'm a------"

This is the false self. These are nothing more than your momentary situations. You are describing your vessel, your situations. This is all the raw material in which you fall through in order to find your true self. As I have said before, you are not defined by your past ideas or situations of yourself.

You create your false self from your past situations. The true self is never created. It has always been there.

It is not our psychological self, any time thought is involved that is your "false self."

The true self if you will is "The face you had before you were born..."

We NEED our false self in order to align with our true self. It is nothing more than a TOOL meant to HELP AND ASSIST our TRUE SELF. The true self lies in who we are with God.
We let our false self carry us away with its negative thoughts, ideas, fears, and potential outcomes. Non-stop keeping us frazzled, and worried.

Therefore constantly trying to feed issues in which the false self (the mind) is creating...

Through-out our lives, we are all seeking fulfillment. Fulfillment in different ways. Many seek fulfillment through religion, materialism, success, and they want to find self-value. Often looking, and feeding all the wrong spaces.

The issue is many of us seek to fulfill the false self, often wondering why it is not registering deep inside. For instance; I have a friend who is obsessed with getting a nose job. She yearns for happiness, and postpones her happiness for "after she gets her nose done."

This is exactly what I mean when I say the false self. Many of us in the world are trying to fill voids in our lives with external means in which we "believe" will bring happiness. You often hear people say "Things will be better when; I retire/ after I get this paycheck/ after I get this nose job/ after I graduate/ after I pay off these loans/ when I get a boyfriend/girlfriend." THE LIST IS ENDLESS

All postponing their happiness with external means which will never actually bring true happiness. Maybe for a moment, but never forever. 

People often feel that they NEED success, but success is rarely the true goal but rather the early window treatment for our false self. We need successes in our lives to give us momentum for the ride, but success is never the true goal. We already hold success within our existence. 

The ironic thing is our true self is only revealed to us through the difficult times we face in our life. It reveals itself through faith, and the power we hold inside. I know I covered this in a previous post in more detail, but it is in those tough times in which we feel our weakest that our true self is revealed.

Our true self is defined by who we are in God. Our (true self/ soul) expands most through humiliation, sin, and those mis-steps that we MUST make in order to move loser to who we truly are. 

When I speak about God or the higher force I am not necessarily talking about Jesus, Mohammed, or whatever you call it. So if you look at this as Oh well, I'm not religious. This is NOT about religion, but rather spirituality. As I stated before "God is not so much a being, but rather the grounding of being itself."

"Beware of acting pious in order to be seen by others..." -Matthew 6:1

One issue with some religions, especially Christianity and the way it has been shaped. We use ideals of the religion that still appeal to the false self. Feeding the "ego" through pious actions. We distance ourselves from God. If only you went to church more, if only you confessed your sins, if only you read the bible more, if only you were more moral. Therefore creating a separate success system away from God but applying to the ego. We don't NEED any of that. Sure religion helps if used correctly, but your spirit is what you need to get into contact with.

Once you discover your spirit, you discover God.

I hope that these lessons resonate with you, as they have for me. I am truly on an amazing spiritual journey and would be blessed if you came along for the ride.

Until next time...

NAMASTE
STAYWOKE

Comments

Popular Posts